Delaware County Bar Association
The Delaware County Bar Association was organized in 1872, six years before the American Bar Association and twenty-three years before the Pennsylvania Bar Association.
Front & Lemon St.
P.O. Box 466
Media, PA 19063
The organization's original name was the Delaware County Law Library Association, indicating the importance of law books to members of the bar, a concern which continues to this day. There is no official list of charter members of the Delaware County Bar Association but records show Edward Darlington was the first president. The Bar Association has had a long history of service to the community. For many years before the Congress established funding for the Delaware County Legal Assistance Association the association maintained a legal aid program. In recent years, as the number of cases involving indigents has outstripped the funding, the Bar Association has maintained a Pro Bono Program. The building houses offices for the Association's staff, the Delaware County Legal Journal, the Lawyer Referral Service, conference/deposition rooms, a modern auditorium, with projection video equipment and satellite dish communication, for Continuing Legal Education Seminars, and a small, but well equipped, gymnasium for members.